Hair | Skin | Makeup | Celebrities | Products | Trends
Summer Beauty Looks
Cara Delevingne's heavy, dark brows have inspired women everywhere to spend more time shaping and filling in their brows. We are seeing a resurgence of more natural, thickly shaped brows. Long gone are the 1990's days of over plucked, thin brows. Even though there was an appearance of a lighter brow on the runway for Spring, it's safe to say that Big Brows are a trend that's here to stay.
In this photo, Cara's eyes are the focus, with her signature dark, heavy brows, sharply lined eyes, dewey complexion and soft rosy lips.
Heavier brows have the added benefit of making you appear younger as well. Brows naturally become thinner with age, so adding some extra umph to your brow could take years off your face. So, put away those tweezers and say hello to all the fantastic brow pencils and brushes out there.
Check out these little gems to get your perfect brows:
- Kat Von D Tattoo Precision Brow - $19
- Anastasia Beverly Hills Brow Pencil - $23
- Marc Jacobs Beauty Brow Wow Defining Long wear Pencil - $25
- Bobbi Brown Perfectly Defined Long-Wear Brow Pencil - $42
Short Messy Waves
Quite a few celebrities have adopted a shorter hair cut this summer. Short to medium length messy waves are a popular and fresh style this year. Trend setter Lily Collins opted for this cute cut, and is another girl whose bold brows have been the envy of women everywhere. Her naturally well shaped brows highlight her big doe eyes and create a dramatic look especially paired with dark all round eyeliner and soft nude lip.
To get those just tumbled out of bed waves, try some of these texture creams and sprays:
- Bumble and Bumble Texture Hair (Un) Dressing Creme - $14
- Sexy Hair Slept In Texture Creme - $18
- Oribe Surfcomber Tousled Texture Mousse - $37
- OGX Moroccan Sea Salt Spray - $8
Barely There Makeup
Minimal makeup paired with clean center parted hair was one of the most featured looks on the Spring runways for this year. The fresh, bare-faced, care-free vibe was definitely inspired by the 1970's with what could be called a 'Festival Girl' look. This look is characterized by a flushed, youthful glow with center parted hair, wind-blown waves, and minimal makeup.
Beyonce looks effortlessly sexy with her barely there makeup and center parted wavy hair. The key is for the waves to have a kind of messy, wind blown effect about them. Perfectly tight, controlled waves are a thing of the past. This year is all about the lazy waves.
To get the bohemian goddess, outdoor musical festival vibe try using soft, nude eye palettes, a light application of tinted moisturizer, a peachy cheek stain instead of blush, a light layer of mascara, softly brushed brows and a nude lipstick, or a clear gloss.
Check out some of these products to get the perfect bare-makeup look:
- Josie Maran Argan Tinted Moisturizer - $38
- Urban Decay Naked3 Eye palette - $54
- bareMinerals Complexion Rescue Tinted Hydrating Gel Cream - $30
- NARS NARSissist Blush, Contour and Lip Palette - $60
- The Balm Nude-tude eye palette - $36
- Smith's Rosebud Salve - Glossy Lip Balm - $6
The New Smokey Eye
Sultry, smokey eyes paired with soft nude lips and messy waves are one of this years best overall looks for any occasion. Also this year, the more dramatic ombre is out, while the softer, more subtle balayage is in. J-Lo's hair has a beautifully subtle, smudged blonde treatment, which gently transitions from a dark blonde to bright at the ends, and worn in voluminous, loose, messy waves.
To achieve a sultry, smokey eyed look choose burnt lilac eye shadow shades, black eye-liner, black mascara paired with a nude lip gloss. The key is to keep the focus on the eyes, so make sure to keep brows full and soft.
To achieve this look try these perfect palettes:
- Laura Mercier Eye Art Artists Palette - $55
- Benefit Smokin' Eyes - $36
- NYX Cosmetics The Smokey Eyeshadow Palette - $7
Rosie Huntington-Whitely looks stunning with her sharply lined eyes, soft lilac eyeshadow, well defined brow, petal pink lips, and her hair in shoulder length messy waves.
She's got the best of all Summer's newest trends with this look, from her soft blonde, tussled hair, her striking, feathery brows, cat-like eyeliner lines and perfect softly blushed lips.
To get those just-kissed looking lips, try these peachy & dusty pink lip shades:
- Bite Beauty Butter Cream Lipstick in Fleshy Nude - $28
- Chanel Healthy Glow Sheer Color Stick - $45
- Buxom Love, Dolly Limited Edition Full Bodied Lipstick - $21
Contemporary Graphic Cat-Eye
Graphic Eye Liner was all the rage on the Spring runways this season, with new, bolder, more contemporary variations on the traditional cat-eye. Each unique look giving a nod to the 1960's classic cat eye but with a newer, more edgy twist. We saw a lot of negative space cat eyes, dramatic all over cat-eye, bright blue lines, shimmery gold and other graphic eye-liner designs.
Now is the time to experiment with different graphic eye shapes and have fun exploring your inner cat woman.
Jennifer Hudson looks ultra chic with her short, textured hair, graphic cat eye and bold plum-berry lip color.
Eye Liners for created Cat Eye wings:
- Tarte Tarteist Clay Paint liner - $24
- Marc Jacobs Highliner Gel Eye Crayon - $25
- Benefit Their Real! Push Up Liner - $24
Wet Hair Look
The half wet hair look starting to become popular again in 2013, and this 1980's throw back look was still a strong influence on many of the runways for Spring. Slick, but still messy, 'wet-hair' creates an edgy 1980's rock look, as seen here by Kendall Jenner. Her hair paired with sultry, lightly smoked eyes and a nude matte lip is ultra sexy for summer.
To give your hair the wet-slicked-back look, use a leave-in conditioner, then blow dry your hair straight. Once your hair is dry apply a volumizing styling cream or mousse mainly on the crown of your hair and work your way down. Use a comb to brush the sides back and then use a softer bristled brush to brush the top back. Finish the look by getting a little hair oil on your fingertips, gently working through the top of your hair with your fingers to give more volume, and then spray with hairspray to hold the hair in place. The trick is to keep the hair looking shiny and wet, even after it dries.
Try these products to help you achieve the perfect slick hair look:
- Bumble and Bumble Hairdresser's Invisible Oil - $39
- L'Oreal Professionnel Mythic Oil - $21
- Nexxus Comb Thru Hold and Design Finishing Mist - $14
- AG Plastique Extreme Volumizer - $22
Berry Bright Lips
Bright berry colored lipsticks and stains have saturated the market over the last few months with what is turning out to be one of this years most popular trends...bold, cheerful colored lips.
Always on the front end of fashion Lupita Nyong'o looks radiant with her shiny, poppy colored lips, paired with an elegantly braided top bun. Her bright lip shade is perfect for Spring, and matches her dress to a tea.
There are so many new colors to choose from, ranging from bright reds and tangerine colors, to bubble pop pinks.
Here are some of our favorite new lip colors:
- bareMinerals Pop of Passion Lip Oil Balm in Punch Pop - $16
- Marc Jacobs Le Marc Lip Creme in So Sofia - Electric Watermelon - $30
- Revlon Ultra HD Lipsticks - So many bright colors to choose from! We love Gladiolus - $10
- Estee Lauder Pure Color Envy Shine Sculpting Lipstick - Blossom Bright - $30
- Shiseido Veiled Rouge in Sloe - $25